Welcome!

Here I will write about my personal Masonic Journey, including answers, thoughts, feelings, experiences, interpretations, and lessons. I hope that my blog can help answer questions you may have, both favorable and unfavorable. Also, don't hestitate to ask me any questions. I'm hard to offend.

Oh, and don't ask me if I know where the Holy Grail is. I keep losing it.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

My first step, initiation, EA proficiency, and first lodge meeting

I remember when I first heard about Freemasonry.  It was while watching National Treasure, the Bruckheimer film starring Nicolas Cage and Harvey Keitel.  Although there were a lot of references, the one that stuck out was the part at the end where Cage noticed Keitel's ring (thereby realizing he was a Mason).  This was the first time I realized that there was something special about these "Freemasons."

It wasn't until I finally read the popular book Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown that I heard the term again.  Something about Brown's writing style got me hooked, and I have since become a huge fan of his.  For one reason or another, I didn't really connect National Treasure with Da Vinci Code... and it wasn't until I read The Lost Symbol (his most recent novel) that I started to realize... Wow... I'd really like to learn more.

Taking the most interesting parts of the book (noetics, Masonry, and religion) I went on Amazon.com and ordered a few books.  I didn't know what kind of Masonic book to get, and I didn't have a holy bible, so I purchased a Masonic bible hoping the combination would be an interesting insight into both.

Two pages into the book, I was thoroughly confused.  I felt like I was reading something I shouldn't be reading, or rather, something I wasn't prepared to understand.  Today if I was to read it, I have no doubt it would make a lot more sense.  However, I have pledged not to read it again until I have completed my third degree.

So a year or so passes.  I meet a wonderful woman, my fiancee.  It was because of her the world of Freemasonry came back into my life.

Her father is a Freemason, and has been involved since he was in De Molay as a child.  When I had learned about his association, I had already gotten to know the man and I was amazed by his character.  When I found out I could become a Freemason (wait, are you sure?  I'm not famous!  I'm not the son of a King or a wealthy politician!) I became extremely excited. 

He put me onto the book Born in Blood by John J Robinson.  It was an incredible book, which I couldn't put down (despite my fiancee's pleading).  I picked up many more books (my favorite being Freemasonry for Dummies by Brother Christopher Hodapp) and just kept on reading.

The day came when my fiancee's father picked up a petition (after I had asked, which is apparently an important part of the process) and I filled it out.  It was a while till I  heard something, but the day came when the investigation committee was ready.  It was the night before their next lodge meeting when the investigation committee sat down with my fiancee and I.

I had just finished Freemasonry for Dummies so I was filled to the brim with new information and just as many questions.  The meeting went great, and my nervousness subsided as soon as I realized that like my fiancee's father, these were all great guys.

The next night, they voted on my admission.  I sat by the phone, nervous as I've ever been.  Finally my fiancee's father called me:

"I'm sorry Mike, but... you've got a lot of memorization ahead of you.  Congratulations."

That was my first step. 

The lodge went dark so it was a while until I had heard anything.  At first, I felt incredibly impatient I'm ashamed to say.  But I grew to become more patient, and eventually unbridled excitement made way for temperance.

After the lodge had reopened, I received a call:  my initiation was set to take place on September 15th. 

I dressed in a nice pair of slacks and a white button up.  My fiancee dropped me off and I went into a Masonic lodge for the first time.

I went down to dinner and met the men I'd be calling brother very soon.  I was a mix of happy/nervous/uncomfortable/at home.  Everyone was extremely nice, but in situations like this I tend to get more than a little shy.  A few Masons approached me and proceeded to give me congratulations, warnings about a goat, and the common phrase "We all went through this... don't worry!" 

I found out a fellow initiate would be going through the first degree with me.  This actually made me worry a lot less, knowing I wouldn't be alone in there.  We talked about our lives (him being retired in his late 60's and me being unemployed on disability in my mid 20's, the gap wasn't as big as you might think) and what drew us to Masonry. We had sloppy joe's, sat down and talked until we were approached and started the very long night that was ahead of us.

I won't say anything I've sworn not to divulge (if you're here for secrets, you won't find any... there are more than enough websites and books out there to fulfill that desire) but the experience was fantastic.  It was an incredible night.

There was a funny story that occurred.  In the middle of the degree, I felt myself getting light headed.  I knew the importance of the particular moment, so I knew this was the WORST possible moment to pass out.  That didn't stop it from happening.  Luckily my brothers didn't laugh (which furthermore solidified my favorable opinion of the fraternity) and were quick to offer me a glass of water and a chair.  I will always remember this moment and I'm sure my brothers will too...

It was unfortunate that my future father in law was unable to attend, but seeing as I fainted, it was probably for the best.  He was quick to message me that evening to give me his congratulations.  It meant a lot that even in another country, far from America, he was able to get ahold of me. 

That was my initiation.

A proficiency is the secret part (they'll throw me out of a low flying plane above a pool of sharks and grizzly bears if I reveal it) so I won't say much.  However, I had an incredible coach who definitely knew his stuff, so I learned the proficiency quickly and in two days, I had it down perfectly.  I would like to say I studied a lot over the next week, but I was so busy that I had to search for moments to go over it in my head.  I think my fiancee thought I was going crazy, constantly muttering to myself in low tones.  She got used to it quickly, and her father later told me our wives get used to us doing that all the time.

So this past Thursday was the night... of my proficiency exam and my first lodge meeting.  I was doing great with nerves on our way to the room where they'd conduct the questions and answers, until my coach said "Will you be joining us, Brother?" and I turned to see my future father in law smiling and following us in.

I better not screw up, I thought.  It's like taking a test on the English monarchy in the presence of the Queen.  Well, that's how it felt.  This was the man who put me on the path of Masonry, the one man I don't want to disappoint... so yep... nerves definitely went up a few notches.

Luckily, I did it and it went well.  Everyone congratulated me and that was the end of my proficiency.

The lodge meeting was very interesting.  I learned some of the proper ettiquette, the rhetoric, and more of the symbolism.  It was a great night and we had a pretty decent board meeting afterwards.

I've met a lot of great men, learned a lot of great life lessons, and although I'm only an Entered Apprentice in the Craft, I'm already noticing changes in the way I live my life and the person I am.  I'm proud of the steps I've taken. 

So... for prospective masons...

You'll see a popular saying 2B1 ASK1.  It is important in the fraternity that men join of their own free will, therefore we can't ask anyone to join.  If you know a Mason, ask him... and I'm sure he'll be happy to help you in your journey.  If you don't know a Mason, you can consult with the Grand Lodge in your state and they will help you take those first steps. 

I will say this... if you are joining because you want better business connections, you want to know the location of the Holy Grail, want to get out of speeding tickets, or you think it's a fast track to becoming wealthy or famous... you may want to reconsider.  These motivations will yield disappointment... so I recommend thinking long and hard, doing some soul searching, and seeing if there might be some other aspects of the fraternity that appeal to you. 

For antimasons...

If you dislike the craft, if you have an unfavorable opinion, or anything along those lines... I'd be happy to answer any questions I A) Have the answers for and B) Can give the answers to (I do have to fulfill my obligation).  I'm by no means an experienced Mason and so I may not have all the answers... but I will do my best.

I hope everyone is having a great night.  I will keep everyone posted on my Masonic Journey. 

Michael Kelly
EA 9/15/11
Stevensville Lodge #28

No comments:

Post a Comment