Welcome!

Here I will write about my personal Masonic Journey, including answers, thoughts, feelings, experiences, interpretations, and lessons. I hope that my blog can help answer questions you may have, both favorable and unfavorable. Also, don't hestitate to ask me any questions. I'm hard to offend.

Oh, and don't ask me if I know where the Holy Grail is. I keep losing it.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Masonry All Around Us

Have you ever driven around your city and seen this?


You probably have and didn't even realize it.  Once you realize what it means, you'll start seeing it everywhere.  Kind of like Jim Carrey in the Number 23.

This symbol is the universal sign of Freemasonry.

I don't know how many times I've passed buildings, cars, and people who have displayed this symbol.  I never realized that it stood it for Masonry, but now that I know, I see it everywhere.  In my old hometown.  On the rings of friends.  On cars.  All of this signifying that these are men I share a profound tie with.

It may also interest you to know that there is another famous group that signifies an association with Freemasonry...

The Shriners.  As in The Shriners Hospital.  As in the Shriners Circus.  As in the guys with the funny hats and little cars.



Every Shriner is also a Mason.  It's kind of a requirement.

There's also a lot of Masonic symbolism outside of these cases.  You'll see them in statues, in churches, and in paintings.

For example:



George Washington laying the cornerstone at the Capitol.  In full Masonic regalia.  He was the first Masonic President (but not the last).



This is the Apprentice pillar at Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland.  This particular chapel is chock full of Masonic symbols and even ties to the Knight's Templar (but we'll get into that association at a later time).  However I did want to tell the legend surrounding this pillar as I find it particularly fascinating.

The Master Mason's apprentice, in his Master's absence, dreamt of this beautiful pillar one night.  Upon waking, he got to work and completed it.  It was an amazing work of art, and upon the Master Mason's return, he was filled with envy and rage and struck the Apprentice dead with a mallet.

In Rosslyn Chapel, there is supposedly two men carved into the corners of the Chapel, the Apprentice and the Master.  From what I can recall, the Master is across from the exquisite pillar, thereby forced to look at it for all time.



The House of the Temple.  This building is the headquarters of the Scottish Rite in Washington D.C., Southern Jurisdiction.  Egyptian symbolism and architecture is sometimes a prevalent theme in certain lodges and other Masonic buildings.


This is the George Washington Masonic Memorial.  Here is a short description (from the GW Memorial website):

The George Washington Masonic Memorial is more than a colossal memorial and museum. It is a tourist attraction and destination; research center and library; community center; performing arts center and concert hall; banquet and celebration site; and meeting site for local and countless visiting Masonic lodges and organizations. However, first and foremost, it is a memorial to honor and perpetuate the memory, character and virtues of the man who best exemplifies what Freemasons are and ought to be, Brother George Washington.  George Washington Masonic Memorial Website




Freemason Hall (London).  This building houses a memorial to Masons who died in World War I as well as a gift shop, museum, and more.  This is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England.

There are signs of Freemasonry all around us, and you'll find that even the lodges (where all those secret meetings are held) are clearly identified.  For some, the Square and Compass is an interesting symbol, filled with intrigue and secrecy.  For others, it's just a v and and an arrow with a big G in the middle.  But for me and the men I proudly call brother, it's a symbol that connects me to a long, vast, and intricate history of all the men who came before me, who walked the path I'm walking now, some who even shaped the very country we live in today. 

Still, for others the symbol is the sign of the New World Order, and the plan for domination of the entire world.  I must have missed that lecture...

No comments:

Post a Comment